West Africa Centre for the Protection of Animal Welfare (WACPAW) is an animal welfare charity organization with registration number CG054922016 and a Non-Profit organization license number DSW/7881 focused on the welfare of farmed animals, animals at the livestock markets during transportation, slaughtering and healthcare. Our objective is to seek compassionate treatment of animals with a dedication to reducing animal suffering caused by people.
Our cause is founded in the fact that slaughter houses for instance violate animal welfare standards. Issues such as whether slaughter houses slaughter pregnant animals, transport pregnant cows under dehumanizing conditions or beats them in the process of transportation.
We also work to minimize the impact of all human actions detrimental to endangered species, including the destruction of natural forests containing ancient trees, and pollution of the oceans destroying every kind of marine life.
Our vision is a world in which animal welfare is respected and all animals are protected from avoidable pain
To relentlessly champion the welfare of animals through training, education, and effective collaboration with key stakeholders in Africa and the world at large.
The following are the objectives to facilitate the attainment of the above vision.
- To work closely with research institutions in order to encourage and facilitate research into ways of improving the welfare of food and pet animals
- To provide a platform for the training and exchange of knowledge on best practices to farmers, official veterinarians, animal handlers slaughter men and other stakeholders in the livestock sector.
- To actively engage government and other welfare charities in the formulation and implementation of animal welfare regulation to protect the welfare of both food and pet animals.
- To collaborate globally with animal warfare charities and research institutions in other to share information that may lead to the improvement in the welfare of food and pet animals.
- To encourage the use of humane slaughter and or killing methods for disease control or human consumption.
- To support and promote academic and moral development of female students in Ghana and Africa.
- To build the capacity of women in alternative livelihood programs.
WACPAW focuses on research, training, education, and advocacy as necessary strategies towards the attainment of our statement of objectives above.
WACPAW has a wider and ambitious operational coverage. Our operations cover the thirteen (13) West African countries. However, we are currently based in Ghana. The majority of our operations and activities are concentrated in Ghana with plans far advanced to start operation in the other countries. The activities of WACPAW is financed by generous donation from the public and charities, we are always available for funders or sponsors who are able to donate towards our course. Without your help, we are unable to function.